Volunteer at ForTomorrow
Let’s get a few things out of the way first. If you want to do something for the climate, become climate positive yourself. A Climate Subscription can help you with that. After all: at ForTomorrow we help our members become climate positive—we can’t take credit for what they achieve.
The other thing is that we’re a small organization, mostly run by volunteers. We are non-profit, for impact and we can’t offer competitive salaries to the skilled people that we need—yet. But you can get us there.
We’re looking for experienced people, because we need our volunteers to work independently, with little guidance from the team.
If that works for you, supporting ForTomorrow is great:
- We’re a distributed organization with many of us working from different countries. We work from where we want to.
- We work independently towards clear goals. With responsibility comes freedom. Freedom to experiment and to learn new things. We work when want it and how we want it.
- Everything we do, we share on Trello, Slack, GDocs, Figma and Github.
If you want to work with us, please look below for an area in which you can work independently enough to define and plan your own tasks.
See how boring this page looks? Right now, Koos does everything design and there’s just so much to do! We’re looking for designers with at least 3 years of experience who can take over some of his responsibilities.
- Branding: we’ve in the process of creating rebranding ForTomorrow. We have a direction and now need to implement it:
- Develop a visual language
- Design a logo
- Mock up web page layouts and create a component library in the process.
- Find or create visual assets matching the new style. New illustrations for the tree and power plant we use on several webpages would be particularly important!
- Brochure and ad design: we’re on several social platforms (see the footer of the page) and our posts need high quality visuals.
- User research: through interviews and web analytics, find out what motivates our users, how we can segment our target group, how we can improve our brand, the community and of course: how we can increase our conversion rates.
- Usability testing: through interviews and observations find out how we can improve our website and the subscription experience.
We’d gladly hand over that responsibility to coordinate work packages between volunteers to a entry or senior level product manager.
Copywriting & translation
- German and English: we have a blog, newsletters and a whole lot of information to share. But we’re neither good nor fast writers, so we can really use some help here!
- German and English: implement the new branding guidelines to the current and redesigned web pages.
- Other languages: we want to bring ForTomorrow’s offering to other countries. That requires translation not just of the website, but also of ads, social media accounts and—perhaps more importantly—a strategy to make ForTomorrow successful in those countries. This is much more than copywriting, but being good with words is essential here.
We have static website built by Jekyll with a backend provided by Fundraisingbox. We are developing a web app for our members for them to to track their donations and CO2 emissions. It will help members become carbon positive—and not just through offsets.
We need advice and for an approach and architecture to get there. Once we have a plan for that, we need people helping us build these things:
- Backend: a basic but reliable and scalable setup for data storage and retrieval. This involves setting up user management and authentication and connections with other services, including the frontend.
We run ad campaigns on Facebook and Google. If you have experience optimizing campaigns and funnels, we can use that!
If you have a large online audience or know how to get people with large audiences, you can help us too.
How to apply
Our time is scarce and you have to make a living too. To keep things simple, we’re not hiring for roles, but for the work packages described above. That said, we want our collaboration to go beyond that. If you want to take responsibility for a work stream, you can get it as soon as you’ve shown your skills.
This is our approach to making sure you get to make impact, do interesting work and spend just as much time on it as you want:
- You apply per email to pick up one or more work packages described above. If you don’t find a matching role, it may be worth waiting until we’ve grown and need your skills. If you believe we can use your support nonetheless:
- Please explain why
- Describe your own work package
- In your mail, you show us that you have the skills and experience to pull it off independently. Just like with any job application, a resume and portfolio may help. We don’t care about fancy letters, but we want to be able to quickly assess if your skills are good match for our needs.
- You tell us how much time per week you can commit to ForTomorrow.
- We coordinate work packages among volunteers. It’s possible the work package you prefer is taken by someone else.
- You get full responsibility for growing ForTomorrow through the work assigned to you.
- We have check-ins about once a week. Then we talk about progress and how the team can support you.
- ForTomorrow grows, CO2 goes down, humanity becomes climate positive!